Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Stencil :)

1. Explain how you changed your photo in the lab to create a stencil?
I chose many different jets. Then I opened up photo shop  inserted the pictures i chose, and started to mess with the threshold. This helps show the positive and negative space well. After I messed with the photos I chose the one I liked the best and printed it off. 
2. When creating the collage background explain your choice of colors, materials (magazine paper, books pages, etc.), and placement. How does it relate to your topic? If no relation discuss general idea.
For my collage background I wanted to do something that looked like it dealt with the war. I tried to make it look like a generals desk, messy with papers every where. I ripped pages out of books, some pictures out of magazines, phrases out of magazines, and some maps of countries. I made a coffee stain on the bottom left-ish of the poster and painted some of the pages to make them look burnt. Giving it a nice contrast, in my opinion.  
3. Discuss the way positive and negative space was used to create your stencil. 
I used the positive and negative space to help me cut out my stencil. It helped me to be able to pin point the shapes I needed to cut out to make my stencil look right when I would spray paint it. 
4. When using the xacto knife, explain the safety procedures, how to use the knife and any challenges you had to overcome while cutting. 
The safety procedures are pretty straight forward and simple. Don't cut toward yourself, use a cutting board, and when your done don't play around with it. The challenges that i had to over come while using the xacto knife was the presser you apply to it, being careful around a bend and the feel of it. My main challenge was trying to cut it smoothly. I kept going to far of hacking off a nice piece  but I guess in the over all picture it turned out A.-O.K. :)
5.How was your experience with the spray paint? Discuss how color choice is important, placement of stencil, and any other concept you noticed with creating this. 
I had a lot of fun with the spray paint! It's probably my favorite thing we've done, well that depends. The color choice is important because it gives the picture depth. Also the placement can be crucial I'm at a block for words on how to describe it, but placing it in the perfect middle can make your picture cheesy or too plan, i guess... Unless it really does look good then i guess your good to go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment